Spartan Green Certification
All Michigan State University employees have a significant impact on campus-wide sustainability goals including energy use, water conservation, reduction of waste, food systems and community engagement.
The Spartan Green Certification program is an oppritunity for staff and faculty to create positive momentum to acheive campus-wide sustainability goals by actively engaging in sustainable practices within their work spaces. Successful participants are awarded a two-year certification for their department's or college's acheivements in energy efficiency, water conservation, landfill diversion, recycling and sustainable best practices.
- Visit the Spartan Green Certification site.
- Click on "Login" tab and enter your MSU email address (NetID@msu.edu) for the Username and your associated password.
- Click on the "Certifications" tab and select the appropriate space.
- Fill out the form and answer all questions as indicated.
- Click "Next Page" to continue to Bronze level questions
- Complete the questions on the page and click "Next Page" to continue to Silver level questions.
- Complete all Silver level questions (if applicable) and click "Next Page" to continue to Gold level questions.
- Complete the Gold level challenge and upload suppoting documents (if applicable)
- Once completed click on the "Submit Certification" button.
Complete the questions by checking “yes,” “no,” “N/A” (not applicable) “or plan to”. Check “yes” only if your space exhibits a characteristic 75 percent of the time. For further explanation of each item, click on the question. For additional information, contact the MSU Sustainability at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can save your work and return to it later if need be.
- The deadline for accepting applications is Friday, April 3, 2015 at 5:00 p.m.
The application process for 2014-2015 is now open! Click here to go to the application site.
Click here to view a complete list of the 2013-2014 Spartan Green Certified spaces (expiring in October 2016).
Click here to view a complete list of the 2012-2013 Spartan Green Certified spaces.
Areas at MSU can earn Spartan Green Certification by completing online self-assessment forms available on the Be Spartan Green website. In acknowledgement of the distinct functions within the university, certification forms were created for four categories: information technology spaces, science laboratories, kitchens, and offices. Certification is good for two years. Units with multiple functions should complete the forms for all applicable categories, which are defined as follows:
- Offices–work areas and conference rooms specifically assigned to academic, administrative, or service functions
- Information technology spaces–areas used as data or telecommunications centers with applications that are broad enough to serve the overall administrative or primary academic equipment needs of a central group of users or unit
- Science and behavior laboratories–areas used for experimentation, professional research and observation, training in research methods, structured creative activity within a specific program, or sponsored research
- Kitchens—areas used to prepare and/or provide food within residence halls, concessions, coffee shops, convenience stores, or other similar facilities
Additionally, starting in the 2014-2015 certification period, different levels of certification have been established. The application is divided into three Certification Levels: Bronze (level one), Silver (level two), and Gold (level three).
Your space must pass each level in succession in order to advance to the following level. Bronze Certification is based on non-space specific criteria. Silver Certification is specific to the type of space you are certifying. Gold Certification is the highest level of achievement and allows for your department’s creativity. Certifications are awarded based up your level of achievement.
Full descriptions of the Green Certification questions are available here.
- Certified units will be recognized at MSU’s Earth Week event.
- Certified units can use the Spartan Green Certification seal on recruitment materials and other communication materials to demonstrate their commitment to environmental stewardship and participation in the culture of conservation
- Certified units will recieve a Spartan Green Certification window cling.
- Buildings in which all units earn Spartan Green Certification will receive a plaque recognizing the building as Spartan “Green Certified.”
- Buildings in which all units earn Spartan Green Certification will have a special designation on environmental stewardship building reports.
If you need assistance filling out your Green Certification application or if you have questions about the certification process or completing a form, contact us. Email MSU Sustainability at email@example.com.